Ask Me Where I'm Going, Ask Me Where I've Been

Monday, July 6, 2009

A Blog At Last!



Hello All!

Did you think I was never going to post? I had almost given up. If it's cloudy, no internet connection. If the power is out (which happens twice a day at random except the last two days when members of Malawian Parliament were staying with us), no internet. When I did get to the internet cafe, not a short walk, I had myriad other problems. So, here I am, two weeks into my travels and I'm hoping this works.

The woman in the picture is shucking corn at Freedom Gardens. Try a google search of Freedom Gardens, Malawi for more information. The agriculture methods here are quite inspiring.

I've had a wonderful yet disheartening experience so far. Life is very different from home in some ways, but very very similar in many other ways. The best description would be the United States 150 years ago.

Agriculture is a way of life here. The only people who seem to travel to market for any food are tourists and hotel staff. Most grow their own using a combination of old and new organic techniques in farming. It's very healthy here as far as food is concerned. There are also plenty of opportunities for exercise.

Well, I should end here for now because it's getting dark and it's dangerous to be out. I'll write again soon! Leave comments if you would like!



Also, I'd like to thank Philip for being my webmaster and best friend.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you are doing well. I can not wait to hear of your safari adventure. Your mother and I have been in constant contact. We are keeping each other up to date on any news that we receive. I look forward to talking with you today and the possibility of a new post.
    Love,
    Philip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I forgot to tell you. One of the Master Gardners came into my office needing assistance with fence building. So tomorrow I have to go out and help them again. It should be very entertaining. I do so hope that a television crew shows up again. A microphone and a camera in my face while I'm trying to put up a fence by myself makes things so much more enjoyable. :)
    Love,
    Philip

    ReplyDelete